Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Alanna Casey’s Version of 5/3/1



Alanna Casey’s Version of 5/3/1

I maintain that 5/3/1 is my favorite powerlifting program.  However, after a couple years of running it, I made a few changes that definitely work for me.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3
60% x 5 reps
65% x 3 reps
70% x 5 reps
70% x 5 reps
75% x 3 reps
80% x 3 reps
80% x 5 reps
80% x 5 + reps
85% x 3 reps
85% x 3 + reps
90% x 1
90% x 1 + reps

Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
65% x 5 reps
70% x 3 reps
75% x 5 reps
40% x 5 reps
75% x 5 reps
80% x 3 reps
85% x 3 reps
50% x 5 reps
85% x 5 reps
85% x 5 + reps
90% x 3 reps
90% x 3 + reps
95% x 1 rep
95% x 1 + reps
60% x 5 reps






Week 9
Max out

*On deadlift ALWAYS stop at 6 reps, even on your last set. There’s no reason to ever deadlift more than 8 reps when prepping for a powerlifting meet, and 6 reps is even better.

I came up with this version after going through 5/3/1 multiple times and not feeling like I was doing enough volume, and thinking I wasn’t giving my body enough time to get stronger.

I did work with Steve Pulcinella to come up with this and it was his idea to add more volume to the program, which was exactly what I needed.

I also want to stress that you should never go to ABSOLUTE failure. Not in this program. However, you should be able to just baaarely get your last rep in on your last set. DON’T practice failing though! If you get to a point where you think that you will fail on your next rep; stop, and rerack the weight. It’s more important to practice speed and form.

Keep your deadlifts at a max rep scheme of 6 to avoid poor form and risking injury.

That’s my two cents, I hope it works for you! If it does, be sure to tell me!


- Alanna Casey

5 comments:

  1. Do you do assistance work with this programming? I've been doing 3 exercises, 5 sets of 10-20 after my main lift. I guess what I'm getting at is wondering if you added volume to your main lifts because you were doing less accessory work?
    When you max out in the final week do you use those numbers to recalculate your next cycle or just add the 5 or 10 lbs recommended in the original program?

    And I love the way this is set up, by the way. Especially how you end up doing 3 reps first and then 5 reps with 65, 75, 85% in non-consecutive weeks of the same cycle.

    Thank you for sharing this and thanks in advance for answering my questions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanna, thank YOU for the question!

    Assistance work:

    I dont really like any of the basic 5/3/1 templates for assistance work. You should choose your assistance work based on your weakness. Assistance work should target weak areas in your kinetic chain. this is where it really helpful to have a coach/someone who is EDUCATED analyzing your lifts. After your main lifts I do 3 different assistance exercises for 3 sets of 8-10 reps. My entire workout takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes (unless i tack on cardio at the end, then its a bit longer).

    And i would use my new maxes to recalculate numbers. Sometimes (most times) your lifts dont go up evenly so adding 5 lbs is good, but id rather have a program more tailored and specific to me. Some cycles you might find your squat goes up by 20 lbs but you deadlift remains the same, and thats okay. It doesnt necessarily mean youre doing something wrong. The next cycle you deadlift will probably increase more than your squat will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. I've been trying to figure out what program to use for my deadlift. I can't seem to make good progress, and I believe the only reason is that I'm not on any kind of structured program. Right now I am running Juggernaut for all my lifts except deadlift. The rep scheme for juggernaut 10's and 8's waves seems like alot of volume for a powerlifting program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea... I injured my lower back on the original 5/3/1 ... it was just too much volume. Please let me know how this works for you!

      Delete
  4. What do you do on week 4? Is that an off week or deload? As for week 9, what is involved in "maxing out"? What percentages of the 90% one rep max are you basing you lifts off of during this time and is it one set or multiple? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete